One of my all time favorite guiltiest pleasures when it came to the fast food world was Sonic's onion rings. Nothing cured a hangover like a greasy snack such as that-and the taste, the crunch was just so tempting! Since I ditched my old habits, I found a newer, better way to indulge in my favorite past time- by baking them instead of frying! I even added a little kick to them-a spicy kick that is!
Baked Jalapeno Onion Rings
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced into rings
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp finely chopped jalapenos
- salt/pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- Combine bread crumbs, jalapeno, cayenne, and garlic in a shallow baking dish.
- Beat eggs in a bowl.
- Put flour into a bowl.
- Dredge onions (a few at a time) in wheat flour.
- Coat them in egg (one at a time).
- Cover completely with bread crumb mixture.
- Place in a single layer on cookie sheet.
- Spray rings with more non stick spray.
- Bake for 30- 45 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to your liking.
Calories: 100 calories per 5 onion rings, depending on the size you cut them.