Before I gave birth to Grey in the hospital, I had all of these checklists on what to bring, but just like you are wondering now, I wondered what I TRULY would need. Turns out-you do not need a whole lot at all! Most of the crap that you bring, you won't pick up once. Let me save you the hassle and tell you what you need.
I prefer the minimalist route when giving birth because the birth of your baby is going to come first and when they are born, you won't be able to focus on anything else while at the hospital!
What you need:
- ID/Insurance Cards
- Pajamas or Robe for you
- Your bed comforter & pillows
- Sweatpants and comfy shirt to go home in
- Granny panties (don't laugh, I am serious)
- Nursing pillow
- Camera, video camera, iPad, phone, magazines (though I barely was on mine because I was in pain the whole time)
- One fluffy receiving blanket for baby.
- Going home outfit for baby
- Clothes & toiletries for dad to take a shower
- Toiletries for you
- And that is about it!
What you really do not need:
- baby clothes for the stay-they give them to you
- pads-they give them to you
- vaginal pain relief-they give you nifty things
- baby soap-they give them to you
- snacks-most of the time you cannot eat in labor anyway just in case you need a section so don't bother-eat before going to the hospital
- a thousand blankets (not necessary)
- nursing pads- usually do not need these since milk does not come in until day 3
- makeup- really?
And this is my minimalist & honest guide to packing for the hospital. For those who need to pack everything they can (just in case), here is a printable.