All you need:
- 1 large watermelon
- 1 bottle of your favorite vodka
- 1 spigot
- Cut off ½ inch from the bottom end of the watermelon so that it sits on a flat surface. Make sure that the surface that the watermelon will sit on isn’t cut too deep, just enough for it to sit evenly. Cut about 2 inches from the top end, cutting through the rind completely in order to get at the flesh.
- Using a large spoon, scoop out the watermelon flesh from the top of the watermelon and transfer it to a bowl, making sure to leave about 3 inches of flesh at the bottom of the watermelon for the spigot to nestle into.
- Determine where to place the spigot on the surface of the watermelon, then press it firmly into the rind to make an indentation. Using a pointed paring knife, create a small opening, making sure to cut inside the line of the circular indentation.
- Press the spigot gently into the hole. Scrape away the flesh on the inside of the watermelon to reveal the end of the spigot.
- In a blender, combine 4 to 6 cups of watermelon flesh with 4 to 6 cups of alcohol. Fill the watermelon with the liquid and serve over ice.
Source: Andrew Zimmern