Weight loss is getting more and more social these days. Say hello to a new form of weight-loss motivation called DietBetting. This type of game is encouraging people to put their money where their mouth is and bet against themselves as a motivational tool for droppng the pounds.
And the reward? A bigger payout.
DietBet is going after weight management in the most social way possible: by bringing people together to lose weight as a group rather than the classic individualistic approach. DietBet lets players compete to lose weight with friends, strangers or even celebrities.
Here are the basics:
- Join a game.
- Pay the bet amount (usually $35) that you can lose at least 4% off your starting weight in 4 weeks. (For example, if you weigh 120lbs, you will have to lose at least 4.8lbs or so.)
- Weigh in.
- Intereact with other players who have the same common goal as you as motivation and encouragement.
- Weigh out.
- Win! (or lose)
Here are the rules:
You need the following household items-
1. A scale, preferably digital.
2. A digital camera or smartphone.
3. A full-length mirror for selfies or a partner to take your photo.
4. The word written on an index card (changes for each game).
Then you need to follow these directions:
1. You must wear airport security attire (ie take off shoes, belt, hat, etc). They recommend wearing the same outfits for both the weigh-in and weigh-out.
2. Weigh-in each time at the same time of day. They recommend the morning for the most accurate results.
3. Nothing may be in your hands except for the camera or smartphone during the weigh-in.
4. You face must be in the full body shot so DietBet’s referees can confirm it is the same person at the beginning and end of the game.
To join my official DietBet game to get fit this summer (and to detox from an overload of deliciousness from July 4th festivities), click here.